Exploring the Northern end of Granite Belt Wine Country
Cheese Factory, Wineries, the Brewery, the Maze and More…
Lots of Granite Belt visitors break their trip into doing the ‘north side’ of Stanthorpe in one day (and exploring Stanthorpe itself and the south side down to Ballandean and Girraween National Park on other days).
Here’s the spots you’re going to want to know about on the ‘north side’…
Granite Belt Christmas Farm
- Wander through the avenues of Christmas trees
- Free entry
- Meet Santa’s animals (deer, sheep, goats…), $2 for bucket of feed
- Check out the wonderland of Christmas trinkets, chocolates and more in the Mistletoe Store
Location: 321 Aerodrome Rd, Applethorpe Qld
Open: 9am to 4pm, 7 Days a week from April to January.
Granite Belt Maze
- Fun for kids and adults alike
- Entry includes 3 Mazes: the Big Maze, the Mini Maze and the Obstacle Maze
- Entry includes a round of mini-golf
Location: 364 Old Warwick Road, Glen Niven Qld
Open: daily during Qld school holidays 9am to 5pm, Last entries 4pm.
Other times closed Tuesdays & Wednesdays
Vincenzo’s at The Big Apple
- Stanthorpe is apple country, so stop and get your photo with the Big Apple!
- Try a fun pose appearing to eat the apple or holding it up.
- At the Big Apple find Vincenzo’s, which is a great spot for breakfast, lunch afternoon tea, a wine with antipasto platter. Also stock up here on deli goods and wine.
Location: New England Hwy & Amiens Rd, Thulimbah Qld
Vincenzo’s Open: 7 Days 8.30am – 4pm
Sutton’s Juice Factory & Cidery
- Eat a famous Sutton’s Apple Pie – it’s a Stanthorpe icon!
- Taste apple ciders, apple juices and many more products made onsite from fruit grown in Sutton’s orchard and neighbouring orchards
- Cafe with all day menu, seating inside with viewing window to the fruit processing room or outside with orchard views
Location: 10 Halloran Drive, Thulimbah Qld
Open: 9.30am to 4.30pm 7 Days
Image credit: Louise Wright
- Spacious cellar door with seating indoors and on the verandah with vineyard views
- Specialising in aromatic Mediterranean & European wine varieties (must check out their alternative variety sparkling wines)
- Popular spot for wine with sunset views – open to sunset Friday and Saturdays (check opening hours as they can vary throughout the year)
Location: 291 Granite Belt Drive, Thulimbah Qld
Open: Monday 10am – 2pm
Thursday 12 – 4pm
Friday 10am – 7pm (sunset session)
Saturday 10am – 7pm (sunset session)
Sunday 10am – 2pm
(CORRECT AT TIME OF PUBLISHING)
Castle Glen Australia
- A very distinctive ‘castle’ sitting amongst the vineyards is sight to see!
- Inside find a treasure trove of thousands of colourful and varying shaped bottles of liqueurs and spirits, as well as wines and beers, all made onsite
- Products are chemical and preservative free
Location: 3184 Amiens Rd, The Summit Qld
Open: 10am – 4pm 7 Days
- Artisan cheeses are made in this small scale factory from a single herd of pure bred Jersey cows from one farm.
- Jersey Girls Cafe onsite offering takeaway Ploughman’s lunches: with cheese, bread or crackers, relishes, eggs and cured meat
- Buy cheeses (takeaway containers with cool packs available), matching locally made preserves and milkshakes.
Location: 4 Duncan Lane, Thulimbah Qld
Open: 10am – 4pm 7 Days
- A winery for lovers of red wines, with varieties including Mourvedre, Shiraz Voignier, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Barbera, Nebbiolo, Sangiovese and Tannat.
- Tastings with the winemaker himself, Brad Rowe
- James Halliday: “the red wines are of a quality equal to Australia’s best”. James Halliday included Boireann in his top 100 Australian wineries
Location: 26 Donnellys Castle Road, The Summit Qld
Open: Tastings by appointment only. Phone Brad 07 4683 2194
- A short walk to enter a wonderland of giant boulders to explore, with narrow crevices to walk through and cave-like openings
- Another short walk to the lookout atop a unique granite rock outcrop
- Simple bush picnic tables, toilets, dog friendly, parking close to picnic area and ‘castle’ of boulders to explore
Location: Donnellys Castle Rd & Castle Ln, Pozieres Qld
Open: Daylight hours
Rosetta Homestead Perfumery Workshops
- Join your host Debra in the Perfumery to explore the perfume universe, discover the history of perfume and how french inspired natural perfume is made.
- Sniff & Sip – A fun 30mins Learn about their exclusive perfume blends while sipping on a glass of champagne or coffee. Take home 5ml of one of their signature perfumes.
- Create Your Signature Scent Class This workshop allows you to create your own personalised, one of a kind fragrance. You will create 3 scents in 3 1/2 hours. Choose your winning perfume to take home either in a 10ml or 50ml bottle
Location: 25355 New England Hwy, The Summit QLD 4377
Bookings are Essential Phone: (07) 4683 2986
Nicoletti Orchards Apple Picking and Orchard Tours
- Apple Picking and Orchard Tours on Sundays during apple harvest season (February, March, April)
- BYO Picnics in the apple blossoms during spring (September)
Currently farm fresh, sweet, juicy and crunchy current season apples are available directly from Nicoletti’s orchard shed by appointment.
Pick your own apples will recommence in February 2022.
Follow Nicoletti Orchards on Facebook and Instagram for updates about upcoming dates.
Cash and EFTPOS available. Contact Toni Nicoletti on 0407 588 611.
Amiens Legacy Centre
- Learn the history of the settlers who participated in the Pikedale Soldier Settlement Scheme in South East Qld following WWI.
- Major feature: see inside the restored 1920’s railway carriage.
Location: 17 Goldfields Rd, Amiens Qld
Open: Sunday only. 10am to 1pm
Robert Channon Wines
- King of the Verdelho! “Robert Channon Wines, arguably Australia’s foremost producer of Verdelho” – James Halliday 2009
- Wine grown and produced on the estate: Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Verdelho, Pinot Noir, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Bring a picnic and enjoy views from picnic tables across the lake and towards Stanthorpe
Location: Bradley Lane, Stanthorpe Qld
Open: Weekends 10am – 5pm. Monday, Tuesday & Friday 11am – 4pm
Ravens Croft Wines
- A boutique sized winery where the winemaker himself pours your glass
- Taste inside where the atmosphere is like an intimate wine bar on relax on the deck with vineyard and valley views (cheese platters available by pre-ordering one day prior)
- Excellent wines, including Mark Ravenscroft’s Pinotage – a variety native to his South African homeland.
Location: 274 Spring Creek Rd, Stanthorpe Qld
Open: Friday to Sunday (and Long Weekends) 10.30am – 4.30pm
Granite Belt Brewery
- Order a tasting paddle of ales and lagers hand crafted by Geoff in this 1,000 litre microbrewery.
- Lunch and dinner menu including the popular Brewer’s Platter, with four dishes matched to beers.
- Large restaurant space, dog friendly verandah dining and nearby onsite 19 accommodation cabins.
Location: 146 Glenlyon Drive, Stanthorpe Qld
Open: Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday 10am – 9pm Bar, Restaurant and Bottle Shop open.
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10am – 5pm (restaurant closed – bar snacks are available)
Heritage Estate Wines
- Vine + Dine Journey Lunches available Friday to Monday
- Unique amongst the wineries of the Granite Belt, this cellar door is set inside an original apple store building and now is a grand space of antique and heritage style.
- Sit at the 17 seat rosewood and leather table, that once seated the Executive Council in Brisbane when Queen Victoria declared Queensland a Colony in c1859!!
- Wine tasting Halliday 5 Star Rated Wines
Location: 747 Granite Belt Drive, Cottonvale Qld
Open: 10am – 4pm 7 Days
Granite Belt Gourmet & Truffle Discovery Centre
- Unearthing all that is truffles with talks, information, products and tastings, gourmet product range and interactive exhibits.
Location: 335 Church Rd, The Summit Qld (ignore GPS and follow signs)
Open: Wednesday and Weekends 10am – 3.30pm
Sam’s Farm Fresh Fruit & Veg
- Buy farm fresh seasonal stone fruit from the man who knows it best – Stanthorpe’s loved local fruiterer Sam Giacca.
Location: 44 Middleton Rd, Cottonvale Qld
Open: 7am – 5.30pm 7 Days